This delicious pita wrap combines lean grilled chicken with plenty of fresh veggies, so you can take your lunch on the go and feel good about it! This recipe is fairly simple: Grill the chicken, make the basic yogurt sauce, assemble and enjoy.
Mediterranean Chicken Pita
For the grilled chicken
- 1/8 cup (30 grams) olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 1/2 medium lemon (42 grams), juiced
- 1 clove garlic
- 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound (455 grams) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
For the yogurt sauce
- 1/2 cup (120 grams) plain Greek yogurt, divided
- 1/4 large cucumber (75 grams)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
For the toppings
- 6 Greek pita flat breads (approximately 170 calories each)
- 2 Roma tomatoes (120 grams each), sliced
- 3/4 large (225 grams) cucumber, sliced
- 1/2 medium (55 grams) red onion, minced, if desired
In a bowl, combine olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, oregano, thyme, salt and pepper. Add the chicken breasts, and toss until well-combined. Allow the chicken to marinade for at least 1 hour before grilling.
Meanwhile, prepare the yogurt sauce. Add the Greek yogurt, cucumber and garlic powder to a food processor, and blend until smooth. Refrigerate until ready to serve. (If you don’t have a food processor, thinly slice the cucumber. Add Greek yogurt and garlic powder. Stir until well-combined.)
Grill the chicken over a stovetop using a grill pan for 12–15 minutes, or until it reaches an internal temperature of 165°F (74°C). Occasionally brush chicken breast with oil to prevent it from getting too dry. If you don’t have a grill pan, grill chicken over a traditional barbecue grill.
Allow chicken breasts to cool before slicing into large pieces. In the meantime, lightly toast the pita bread.
Assemble the pita wrap. For each wrap use 1/2 chicken breast, 1 pita, 3 tablespoons yogurt sauce, 1/2 tomato, and 2–3 slices of cucumber. Sprinkle with red onion, if desired.
Serves: 4 | Serving Size: 1 pita wrap + 3 tablespoons yogurt sauce
Per serving: Calories: 477; Total Fat: 9g; Saturated Fat: 2g; Monounsaturated Fat: 5g; Cholesterol: 61mg; Sodium: 795mg; Carbohydrate: 60g; Dietary Fiber: 3g; Sugar: 5g; Protein: 35g
Nutrition Bonus: Potassium: 682mg; Iron: 21%; Vitamin A: 12%; Vitamin C: 25%; Calcium: 14%
Energizing Tips (optional)
- Add 2 tablespoons hummus to increase calories, fat and protein. (Per serving: Calories: 585; Total Fat: 14g; Carbohydrate: 73g; Dietary Fiber: 7g; Sugar: 7g; Protein: 39g)
- Add 2 tablespoons feta cheese to increase calories, fat, and flavor. (Per serving: Calories: 547; Total Fat: 13g; Carbohydrate: 62g; Dietary Fiber: 3g; Sugar: 6g; Protein: 41g)
Photo Credit: Demi Tsasis
MyFitnessPal’s Original Recipes are recipes we’ve developed in our very own test kitchen, using common ingredients and beginner-friendly cooking techniques. Scroll through our entire collection or explore: Low-Carb • High-protein • High-fiber • Gluten-free • Dairy-free • Vegetarian • Vegan • Low Sodium